Dollhouse Modern Makeover- Bedroom #3


The last bedroom in the dollhouse now has to be made.

This room is going to be especially for my daughter, because I made a room for her brother.

This one has to be a cute dreamy whimisical room, so I gave her the option and asked her what kind of room would she like, if she had a dollhouse.

She told me she wanted a fairy, tea pot room with a swing !

Ugh, and I thought this was going to be easy !

So I started off with the last blank room in the house.

Originally it was white with blue carpet, that I removed and then put a new wood floor down.



I has some cute wrapping paper I used for the back wall and decided to keep the other remaining walls white to keep it bright.



After wallpapering this on, I decided I was going to go with an "Alice in wonderland" theme room, so that I can incorporate all the things my daughter asked for.

Next, I needed a tree "down the rabbit hole", which I wanted to place in the corner.

I found a tree amongst my craft paper and thought it was perfect.

Even though it was too short to reach the roof,  I was able to use some fake flowers to stick out of the top, to look like a real tree.

I then made a simple bed from wood and fitted it into the corner.



A bedside table was needed so I used an old tea cup turned upside down, and a piece of Tasmanian Huon Pine I had, and put it on top of the cup to make the table.


The table was finished off with a "white rabbit" I spotted at a discount store, and a lamp shade which I inherited with the original house.


Because my daughter asked for a swing, I needed some way to attach it to  the  roof.

 I decided to use the space above the window on the back wall, creating a loft bed from balsa wood and paddle pop sticks, complete with a thin mattress and cushy pink pillow.


I made the swing using some lace I had in my sewing supplies and a wooden jenga block.

I cut the lace to length and glued it around the block.

I then glued the two pieces of lace to the outside end of the loft bed which gave it room to swing, and it enabled me to put a vintage dresser next to the swing against the wall.



I inherited this dresser with the original house and left it in the same colour, plnk, white and yellow, I just gave it a clean and it fitted perfectly.



I made a ladder for the loft bed from some leftover bamboo skewers, which I had cut off the placemat from the blinds in the previous bedroom.



Under the swing I used a green foam mat to represent grass and added a plastic cupcake which was originally a Christmas tree ornament.



I also made a Mad Hatters hat, which I made using some gold glitter foam, which actually fits on a Barbie dolls head.



Next for this room was the drapes and curtains.

My daughter loves purple and as I used this fabric for the loft bed mattress, I decided to continue it through with the drapes.

It is the same fabric as the drapes in the living room, only a different colour. It hangs nice in miniature size, as it is a thin, soft light lycra with a glitter  through the fabric, which I already had some of in my fabric hoard.

I used green ribbon, cut to length for the curtains, as I wanted to keep the room looking like a garden.

 I also covered a small plastic chair in the same glitter purple fabric, which I will be using for a small vanity table for the end of the bed.


I found a plastic slippery dip which fitted perfectly to the end of the bed and used another Christmas decoration candy for the floor.

Because they play croquet with flamingos in the movie, I couldnt believe my luck finding a pink croquet stick in the vintage Barbie accessories bag I inherited, and put it in this room immediately.



The flamingo was made a from a pink pom pom and vinyl, which i  put a ceramic mushroom next to. This mushroom originally was in my back yard.

Next I needed a wardrobe as I found some cute coat hangers in the vintage Barbie bag so in pulled out my craft supplies and made this.


It turned out quite good.

 I used some left over balsa wood, some straws, glue and a skewer for the hangers.


I found some Alice In Wonderland cut outs I had saved from a previous project and used the chesire cat on the top of the wall above the wardrobe.


Complete with a miniature fob watch hanging from the roof.


On the other side of the wall I stuck some posters up. 

One with the queen of hearts,  one with a flamingo and the other with butterflies, all adorned by red felt roses which I handmade.


I made the bedding from some pink and purple scrap fabric along with a pink fluffy pom pom for a pillow.


I finished off the bed with a faux grey fur blanket throw.



I also the faux grey fur for another rug in front of the wardrobe.



For the last corner of the room I filled it with a checkerboard rug, made from the original kitchen floor.

I placed the small upholstered chair, table and mirror in the space,  which I finished off with some 'drink me' bottles, some clipart, and another cute  stereo inherited, so now both kids rooms have music.

 Last but not least i put up a huge fabric rose which was in my little girls room already.



This room really has turned out quite cute. I'm not sure if I went over the top as there is alot going on and it's very busy.



The good thing is, if my daughter dosnt like it, it won't take me very long to change now.

I finished this room in recored time!



The study (top landing) is the last room to complete in the house and the first room I started working on.

I wanted to finish the stairs before finishing and revealing this room on the blog, so now I will be finishing the stairwell so I can complete the top landing and will be showing you the study next.

More paddle pop sticks needed! 

KJ  xoxox

No comments

Post a Comment