Dollhouse Makeover - Bathroom Renovations!



One of the most important rooms in all houses has to be the bathroom, and I wanted to make sure this house was no exception, so after working on the master suite I knew I had to tackle some of the rooms which would take the most time if this project was going to be finished in 5 weeks, so i had to complete the kitchen and bathroom next.

What originally was a bedroom on the second floor was now going to be the bathroom for the house and started out like the picture below.

It was going to now become a fresh, bright clean bathroom fit for any doll.


I already had a pink Barbie sink, a clear toilet and a wooden cabinet with a stove printed ontop.



I sprayed the sink grey, covered the top of the cabinet with marble contact sheeting to hide the stove and glued the sink on top, finishing off the sink with some popsicle stick edging.

I hand painted the tap black, setting the tone for the rest of the tap wear I will be putting in.



As i had a large roll of marble contact sheeting,  I decided the bathroom was going to have this and begun "wallpapering" one feature wall with the marble, the other two walls white, and the floor marble.



The white walls made the room very stark and the marble wasn't standing out as much as I would have liked, so i wanted to infuse something grand onto one of the walls that matched the marble but also made a statement, so I pulled out some of my glitter foam sheeting and "wallpapered" it to the wall.

As well as adding a small piece to the other wall behind the sink edging that off with paddle pop sticks.



The sparkle the foam created was amazing and looked really nice when the light hit it.



The bathroom needed a tub and shower, and as I was lucky enough to inherit a tub with the house, I was just going to use that and paint it white and put it in the room.

But as I was walking down the street on a shopping day out, whilst in the middle of this renovation, I noticed in the window of a discount store a mini plastic claw foot bath full of soaps.

It was very cheap and the perfect size, so I got it and painted it a concrete grey with white feet from the original aqua/green plastic colour.

I accesorised the bath with a pink baby flannel I cut in half and sewed to create a towel,



 I also created some non slip mats from a sheet of the material which I have and use to open stubborn jars.



I also created a mini bath table from paddle pop sticks for Barbie to relax with her goodies within reach.



I created a bath tap from the headphone microphone which I used previously in the master suite and put some pictures on the wall, framed again with more paddlepop sticks.

I inherited a large mirror with the house and framed the top with more sticks to match the rest of the bathroom.



The bathroom mirror above the sink is a fold up makeup mirror I had lying around, which has a rose etched on the front when closed.

Barbie, Stacy and Kelly can all see there reflection now due to the two heights of fold up make-up mirror which i glued only the top side to the wall.

Next was the shower which needed some thought before making.

 I had limited supplies and didn't want to buy anything and didnt really have time to buy anything online, with most of the furniture I was finding being too small for Barbies height.

So I looked through my supplies and came across some off cuts of acrylic which I knew would be perfect.

I chose a neon blue piece which glows on the edge under a blue light, it was 3mm thick and a perfect light blue, almost clear, which would last a long time. I just needed to make a frame.



So for that I used some chopsticks, another piece of white acrylic for the bottom of shower and another piece of white for side as the blue wasnt quite long enough, i held it all in place with glue, the chopsticks and more popsicle sticks.

I 'tiled' the shower with the same silver glitter foam as the other wall in the bathroom.



I originally made these curtains for the living room but they were far too stiff  for that space and matched the decor in this room nicely, so I used them in here complete with silver leather tassels.

 I also made paddlepop stick blinds to sit underneath.



I created this kidney shaped rug from simply cutting out some pink fluffy fleece fabric and another small rectangle for the shower, giving the bathroom some warmth.



This toilet was inherited with the house but was completely clear and had no top.

So I sprayed it grey with chalk paint to match the bath and sink and added a popsicle stick lid to the top of the toilet which I adorned with a mini cactus and sea shell.



Sometimes you need more than just pictures, so I added this charm to the wall.

It was originally from a necklace of mine that had broken from the chain. It's pretty, elegant and adds some character to the wall.

Last but not least I added some shelving units which is simply cardboard, spray painted grey on the inside, which I fitted with towels, shells, a vintage barbie hairdryer, perfume bottle and a mini mirror.



I love how the bathroom turned out, it's modern, bright and very playable !

This dollhouse is going better than expected, but I shouldn't talk too soon.

The kitchen is next and I know that it is going to take more effort to finish than this room did !

I'm already having nightmares about the cabinets ...

Ahhh ... why did I set a time frame for myself !


KJ   xoxox

No comments

Post a Comment